Laryngitis is the swelling of the larynx or also known as the voice box due to infection or overuse.Â Inside the larynx where the vocal cords are located, the one responsible in producing sounds through the vibration and movement.Â However, if the person is affected with laryngitis, these vocal cords are irritated or swollen.Â This inflammation will be the reason of alteration of the sounds that the air produced that pass over them.Â This will make the voice sounds husky and in worst cases no voice are being detected.Â In most cases of laryngitis, it can be cause by temporary viral disease or vocal tension and can be considered of not that serious.Â It can be relieve in doing the simple ways of laryngitis remedies.Â On the other hand, the continual hoarseness of the voice can sometimes be a sign of more severe underlying health condition that should seek medical help.
What are the symptoms of laryngitis?
The symptoms of most cases of laryngitis may last for less than a couple of weeks due to a minor reason like cold.Â It is seldom caused by somewhat more severe.Â Signs and symptoms of laryngitis include the following.
- Huskiness or hoarseness of the voice
- Weak or almost no voice
- Tickling feeling and roughness in the throat
- Sore throat
- Dryness of the throat
- Dry cough
If in case the affected one is your child, take notice of the following symptoms.
- There is a noise, high-pitched breathing sounds as inhaling
- Salivate more than usual
- Find difficult in swallowing
- Difficulty in breathing
- Has a high fever of more than 103 F or 39 C
These symptoms may be a sign of croup, swelling of the larynx and airway.Â Though it can be treated at home with laryngitis remedies but serious symptoms may have need of therapeutic attention.
What are the causes of laryngitis?
Laryngitis can be acute and chronic.Â Acute laryngitis last temporary and gets better after the cause has been treated.Â The cause of acute laryngitis may include the following.
- Viral infections like cold
- Vocal tension due to shouting or overuse of the voice
- Viruses like measles or mumps
- Disease caused by bacteria like diphtheria but this is rare
It is chronic laryngitis if it last more than three weeks.Â This type of laryngitis is normally caused by irritant for a long period of time.Â Chronic laryngitis can cause the damage of the vocal cord or enlargement of the vocal cord.Â The cause of chronic laryngitis may include the following.
- Inhalation of the irritants like smoke or chemical fumes
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease
- Chronic sinusitis
- Too much use of alcohol
- Consistent overuse of the voice, pertaining to cheerleaders and singers
What are the risk factors of laryngitis?
- Respiratory illnesses like cold, bronchitis and sinusitis
- Being exposed to irritating substances like cigarette smoke or if working in chemicals office
- Overuse of the voice like shouting, singing or speaking too loudly
What are the laryngitis remedies?
1.Â Â Â Â Inhale moist air.
2.Â Â Â Â Make sure to relax your voice.
3.Â Â Â Â Drink a lot of fluids.
4.Â Â Â Â Do moisten your throat.
5.Â Â Â Â Keep away from using or taking decongestants.
6.Â Â Â Â Do not whisper.
7.Â Â Â Â Avoid smoking.
8.Â Â Â Â Keep away from clearing your throat.
This will only cause damage for it only creates unusual vibration that may increase the inflammation of the vocal cords.Â Clearing your throat can only make your throat produce more mucus and may suffer from irritation.
9.Â Â Â Â Avoid upper respiratory illnesses.
These are some of the easy ways of laryngitis remedies that can help to relieve the symptoms causing laryngitis and may decrease the damage on your voice.Â Do not hesitate to seek advices from your doctor if the symptoms persist for thorough proper medical evaluation.