Dry skin is not that serious skin problem.Â However, it causes plump cells to shriveled producing wrinkles and fine lines that can be unpleasant and awkward.Â There are severe conditions of dry skin called ichthyosis that may spoil the appearance leading to mental suffering.Â Majority cases of skin conditions are caused by environmental reasons like exposure to cold or hot weather and extreme bathing.Â Serious and persistent of conditions of dry skin may have need of an evaluation of dermatologist.Â However, there are things you can do in able to make your dry skin get better like applying moisturizers and keep away from using drying, harsh soaps that can be considered as the dry skin remedies.
What are the symptoms of dry skin?
Some of the symptoms of dry skin include the following.
- Feeling of tightness of the skin particularly after bathing, swimming or showering.
- Itchiness of the skin that at times might be severe.
- Skin may looks like dehydrated.
- Skin may looks and feels rough rather than soft and smooth.
- Slight to serious scaling, flaking or peeling of the skin.
- Appearance of fine lines or cracks.
- Skin redness.
- Deep slit that may slightly bleed.
What are the causes of dry skin?
Although most of the dry skin problems are caused by environmental exposures, there are also certain illnesses that can extensively change the role and appearance of the skin.Â Some of these causes are the following.
- The most common cause is the weather or climate conditions wherein your skin makes dry and even worse particularly during cold weather like winter.Â However, the temperatures in the desert places can also cause dry skin problems.
- The central air and heat conditioning can make the skin dry because it decreases the humidity.Â It also includes the wood-burning stoves and fireplaces.
- Frequently taking a hot and long bath or shower may also cause dryness of the skin because it ruptures the lipid barriers in the skin.Â Â Frequent swimming especially in pools with too much chlorine can make the skin dry.
- Making use of harsh soaps and detergents because it remove the lipids and water from the skin.Â The same case with the use of antibacterial soaps which are typically the most harmful, like also with shampoos that leave your scalp dehydrated.
- Exposure to the sun makes the skin dry.Â The harmful effects from ultraviolet radiation go through far beyond the epidermis, top layer of the skin.
- Person affected with atopic dermatitis, one of the more common kinds of eczema wherein the skin are more dry and sensitive.Â Parts of the body that are mostly affected with atopic dermatitis are the face, sides of the neck, wrists, elbows, ankles and knees.
- Person with psoriasis, skin disorder wherein there is a rapid increase of rough, dry dead cells of the skin forming thick scales.
- Person affected with hypothyroidism, thyroid disease wherein the thyroid creates very slight thyroid hormones, decreasing the actions of the sweat and oil glands making the skin rough and dry.
What are dry skin remedies?
There are ways that to relieve dry skin and maintain the skin healthy which include the following.
1.Â Â Â Â Keep your skin moisturize.
Moisturizers sealed the top layer of the skin to maintain the water in it.Â The thicker the moisturizers are the more it brings good result.Â You may apply baby oil if your skin is awfully dry.Â Oil has more capability to keep the moisture and avoid the water to evaporate from the exterior part of the skin compare of what moisturizers can do.
2.Â Â Â Â Make use of warm water in bathing.
Make use of warm water than hot water in bathing or showering.Â Limit your bath time to about 15 minutes or less for it can also take away oils from the skin.
3.Â Â Â Â Do not use harsh, drying soaps.
It will be of great result if you will make use of mild skin cleanser and shower or bath gels with more additional moisturizers.Â Prefer mild soaps with more added oils and fats like Neutrogena and Dove.Â You may try to use some brands till you discover the one that brings best result for you.
4.Â Â Â Â Do apply moisturizers instantly after bathing.
Lightly pat your skin dry with a clean towel to leave some moisture on the skin after bathing then immediately apply oil or cream to lock in the water in the surface of the skin.
5.Â Â Â Â Use humidifier.
Use a handy home humidifier to add moisture to the air inside your home since a hot and dry air inside make the dry skin get worse.Â There is plenty of humidifier available in the market, choose what type that best suits you.Â Maintain the cleanliness of the humidifier to prevent the growth of any bacteria or fungi.
6.Â Â Â Â Prefer fabrics that are gentle to your skin.
Use fabrics made of cotton and silk for it let your skin to breathe.Â In washing your clothes, try to make use of unscented detergents because perfumes can only aggravate your dry skin conditions.
These are the dry skin remedies that can ease the symptoms of your dry skin conditions but if the symptoms persist immediately consult your dermatologist or your doctor.