Constipation is a frequent gastrointestinal difficulty with irregular bowel movements of less than thrice a week with dry and hard stools.Â It can also describe of having difficulty in passing of stools.Â Constipation could be considered as severe if there is no bowel movement within one week.Â Constipation can be divided into two, the acute constipation or recent onset and the chronic constipation or the long interval.Â The acute constipation have need of urgent evaluation for the reason that there could have a severe health infection underlying the cause like tumor of the colon.Â It is much require of an immediate evaluation if there is a presence of abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, nausea and vomiting and uncontrolled losing of weight.Â Chronic constipation may be differ from the acute constipation, it does not require an immediate evaluation especially if some simple ways of remedies may bring improvement.
What are the signs and symptoms of constipation?
Constipation does not essentially imply of not having a bowel movement daily.Â If at least two of the following signs and symptoms are being experience for three months of the past six months it could be considered as constipation.
- The person could be considered constipated if he or she passes less than three stools in a week.
- The person has constipation if there is an occurrence of hard stools.
- There is an extremely strain all through the bowel movements.
- There is an occurrence feeling of rectal obstruction.
- The person may experience a sense deficient evacuation even after having a bowel movement.
- The person may require using of manual exercises just to have a bowel movement like finger evacuation or handling of the lower abdomen.
If a person experience an inexplicable onset of constipation or there is any changes in bowel routine and the indication become serious that last for more than three weeks should ask medical help from a doctor.Â It would be a sign of more severe illness if there is the occurrence of the following signs and symptoms.
- There is an extreme abdominal pain.
- There is an occurrence of bowel movements in three days apart regardless of corrective alteration in exercise or diet.
- There is a presence of stain of blood in the stool.
- The person experience constipation alternating with diarrhea.
- There is a painful feeling in the rectal.
- The stools are thin and pencil-like appearance.
- The person experience inexplicable weight loss even without trying.
What are the causes of constipation?
Constipation frequently happens when the stool moves so gradually all the way through the digestive tract.Â This will make the stool turn out to be hard and dry.Â Generally, the stools which are the waste products of digestion are being push all the way through the intestines by contraction of the muscles.Â The large amount of water and salt of this waste are being reabsorbs in the colon for it is very important in every tasks of the body.Â The following are the several factors that can cause constipation.
- Insufficient intake of fluid that may harden the stool.
- Insufficient ingestion of food rich in fibers.
- Disregarding the feeling to have a bowel movement or delaying it.
- Do not have enough exercise or any physical activities especially in elders.
- There is an irritable bowel syndrome.
- Making use of laxatives frequently or use of laxatives wrongly.
- Person with diseases like thyroid disease, diabetes, stroke and Parkinsonâ€™s disease.
- Person with rectum and colon problem.
- There are certain medicines that can cause constipation like pain reliever medicines, antidepressants, antihypertensive and medications use to cure Parkinsonâ€™s disease.
- Person with hormonal imbalances like a hypoactive thyroid gland.
- Hemorrhoids and fissure of the anal that produce contraction of the anal sphincter muscle.
- Severe vomiting and diarrhea that can cause of loss amount of body salts.
- Damage of the spinal cord that can have an effect to the nerve that directing to and from the intestine.
In exceptional cases, constipation can be a sign of more severe health problem like autoimmune illnesses and colorectal cancer.Â In case of children, constipation might be a sign of Hirschsprungâ€™s illness, a congenital order that result from the absence of nerve cells in the large intestine.
What are the natural ways to cure constipation?
1.Â Â Â Â Apply massage.
2.Â Â Â Â Eat foods rich in fibers.
3.Â Â Â Â Lessen intake of low-fiber foods.
4.Â Â Â Â Drink a lot of fluids.
5.Â Â Â Â Do exercise or any physical activities regularly.
6.Â Â Â Â Do not ignore natureâ€™s call.
7.Â Â Â Â Intake of fiber supplements.
Try to take over-the-counter fiber supplements that can help to maintain the stools in a regular and soft form.Â Just be sure to drink a lot of water or fluids each day because not drinking enough water can only aggravate symptoms of constipation.
8.Â Â Â Â Extra careful in taking stimulant laxatives.
Consistent use of stimulant laxatives can only make the colon reliant on them that in a long run will only cause problems in the intestines.Â Do not give the children laxatives unless advice by the doctor.
Even though constipation is not that serious but it can cause annoyance.Â If you suspect of a not simple constipation do not hesitate to seek help from a medical expert.