Low purine diet for gout is a meal plan that restricts foods that are high in purine content. Purine is normally produced by body and is present in some foods. When body digests purine, it will produce uric acid. Normally, uric acid is flash out through urine but those patients who have gout arthritis should limit their intake of foods with high purine to avoid the build up of uric acid in their joints. Â Too much uric acid may result to swelling, sore and gout pain.
Gout pain is a chronic and progressive disease. It is one of the most common recorded medical complaints. This results from the overload of uric acid that leads to crystal formation of urate acid in the joints and tissues of the body. This will lead to swelling, joint destruction and even reduces the ability of kidney to work properly.
What are the causes of gout?
Severity of gout attacks varies depending on the causes, risk factors and lifestyle. Here are the causes of the gout arthritis.
- First cause is the presence of high uric acid in the body. The deposit lumps of uric acid in tissues result to inflammation of the joints.
- Next cause of gout attack is obesity. Excessive weight will give too much pressure in the joints particularly in the feet and toes.
- Third cause of gout arthritis is too much alcohol intake. Alcohol is generally high in purine and drinking excessively may result to inflammation of the joints.
- Fourth reason of gout is high blood pressure. Blood pressure is one reason in gout attack. Patients are advised to manage their high blood pressure to cut the risk of joint inflammation.
- Last cause of gout is certain diseases like lymphoma and leukemia. Studies show that those who suffer from hemoglobin disorder also experienced gout pain.
What are the symptoms of gout?
Gout is not just simple body pain. It is always characterized as acute and sudden stabbing pain. Gout attack usually occurs at night and without warning. Some of the symptoms are:
- Joints are swelling, tender, sore and may have redness.
- The joint pain normally affects hands, feet, toes, ankles, knees and wrists. Gout pain may last up to 24 hours after it started. However, chronic and progressive gout may last for weeks if uric acid is not managed properly.
Low Purine Diet for Gout
Gout attack is reduced if patient will follow a low purine diet. Low purine diet is advised to cut the presence of uric acid.
Some of the foods high in uric acid and should be avoided in low purine diet include:
- Certain fish like herring and mackerel
- Carbonated drinks with sugar
- Organ meat like liver
- Fatty foods
- Red meat like beef and pork
There are foods that are considered medium purine foods. These foods should be taken only in moderation. Some of medium purine foods are the following:
- Dried peas and lentils
- Whole grain breads
- Cauliflower and asparagus
- Green peas
- Wheat germ
Low purine diet for gout is composed of healthy foods that are low in purine. Some of healthy foods included in low purine diet are:
1. Fruits and Vegetables
Another reason to munch on fruits and vegetables is that it is low in purine. Broccoli, celery, pears and carrots are just some vegetables that are low in purine. To make your gout diet interesting, you may add these vegetables to your soup instead of using meat extracts. A fruit juice with no sugar is also a good alternative for low purine diet.
Pasta is part of low purine diet. It is perfectly acceptable for those people who want to reduce their uric acid. Simple pasta is advised but watch out for carbohydrates present in pasta.
3. Low fat dairy products
Gout may increase your risk of heart disease; it is recommended that you limit your intake of fatty foods. It is better if you introduce low fat dairy products to your low purine diet. Milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream should all be low fat. Eggs can be taken in moderation.
Uric acid is effectively flush out in the body through urine. It is recommended that you drink 10 to 12 glasses of water each day.
These foods are ideal for low purine diet for gout. However, if your gout continues to give you discomfort or if you have other medical health condition which need other nutrients, it is recommended that you ask your doctor for more guide and further evaluation.