Over 120 million people worldwide suffer from anxiety and debilitating depression. Worrying can be helpful when it spurs you to take action and solve a problem. But if youâ€™re preoccupied with â€œwhat ifsâ€ and worst-case scenarios, worry becomes a problem of its own.
Unrelenting doubts and fears are paralyzing, not motivating or productive. They sap your emotional energy, send your anxiety levels soaring, and interfere with your day-to-day lifeâ€”all this with no positive payoff! The good news is that chronic worrying is a mental habit you can learn how to break. You can train your brain to stay calm and collected and to look at life from a more positive perspective.
And although drugs and therapy are possible solutions, in most cases, learning how to overcome anxiety and depression naturally is even more effective. Before all the attempts in overcoming anxiety and depression, you have to have an intense desire to overcome them.Â If you want your normal life back, hold an image of that in your mind.Â This desire will lead you to complete the other steps.
Here are the 7 most powerful ways of overcoming anxiety and depression naturally:
1. Get out into the light of day. It’s natural to spend time outside. But often our lifestyle doesn’t support outdoor activity. About 20 minutes of daylight, without sunglasses, can make all the difference.
2. Eat a super wholesome diet. Studies show depressed people eat more sweets and drink more coffee and alcohol than those who seldom experience depression. So follow these healthy eating guidelines:
- Increase whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry.
- Eliminate high glycemic index foods, coffee and alcohol.
3. Socialize with positive people. Actually, just having a friendly chat with a checkout counter clerk can help. When you are depressed and anxious, avoid people that can bring you down and make your condition worse. But best of all is to have a community of supportive extended family to share the joys of life with.
4. Be active and exercise daily. Exercise is known for its cardiovascular benefits and its ability to strengthen the muscles and bones. Perform some form of exercise that you enjoy for three to five days a week. Examples include running, biking, weight training, hiking, gardening and walking. A half-hour of regular physical activity helps you overcome depression and anxiety and sleep better.
5. Include good-mood nutrients. Even with a great diet you can’t get all the nutrients you need to balance hormones and overcome depression. So include a good multiple with vitamin D and these extra supplements:
- Omega 3 fish oil with EPA and DHA has been shown to improve mood, serotonin levels, hormone balance and even clinical depression. So eat more fish and take 1000 mg of quality omega 3 fish oil a day.
- Vitamin B complex is known to be essential to emotional health. But B vitamins are easily destroyed by alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, stress, refined foods and high glycemic sugars. So you need extra.
- C with bioflavonoids has been found to be low in 30% of depressed patients. And stress, smoking, aspirin, birth control pills and many other drugs and medications increase your need for vitamin C.
- Multi-Mineral complex, especially calcium, magnesium and zinc, help stabilize moods. And lack of sufficient minerals can cause nervousness, apprehension, mood swings, irritability and depression.
6. Relax and get enough sleep. As a result of caffeine intake and other stimulants, most people do not get enough rest. In order to overcome depression, it’s important to learn how to get a good nights sleep. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, lack of sleep is associated with a number of chronic diseases and conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, obesity and depression. In order to overcome your anxiety and depression, aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
Participate in relaxation activities. To become more relaxed, there are several types of relaxation techniques you can pursue, such as yoga, tai chi, meditative breathing and muscle relaxation. You can also listen to soothing music.
7. Learn to focus on the positive. It takes work and persistence to learn how to focus on the positive aspects of your life with an attitude of gratitude. But it’s a habit that can change your life for better forever. Keep track of all the positive things that happened to you, and at the end of the day, write them down.Â This keeps you in a positive state and away from dwelling on the negative.
Now that you know how to overcome depression naturally, put these seven steps to work for overcoming depression and anxiety in your life.